It is a cosmetic surgical procedure that is also regarded as ear surgery. It deals with the alternation in the size, dimensions, form, or position of the ear. The ears cannot be in a perfect shape because of congenital disability or any other accidental issue. So this surgery is recommended to treat such kind of issues when the ears are fully developed.
This procedure helps to regain the symmetry of the ears with respect to the rest of the face; for example, it corrects the difference of size and shape of both ears.
This surgical procedure will be done under the general or local anesthesia according to the nature of your surgery. In this cosmetic surgery, no particular area or technique is specified for incisions rather it depends on the fact that ‘which area needs to be treated?’ So according to the location of the area, the surgeon will decide to choose the technique.
The surgeon will remove the extra skin and cartilage after making incisions. Then to give the right shape to your ears, the doctor will fold the cartilage into the right proportion and positions, and then stitches will be used to close the internal structure and incisions.
This surgical procedure offers various advantages concerning your aesthetic beauty and appearance. Here is a list of some benefits that you will get through this surgical procedure.
- It improves the appearance of the ear.
- It corrects the irregularity of ears and balances their proportion.
- It will boost your self-esteem as you will have confidence in your appearance.
Risks and complications
Like other surgical procedures, there are some risks and complications that may come into existence after having the surgery. So here is a list of risks and complications that are associated with this surgical procedure;
- Scarring is a major risk for otoplasty, but these scars may be merged into your crease, or these will be made behind the ear.
- Numbness, swelling and feeling of discomfort are some general issues related to this surgery,
- It is possible that your ear maybe doesn’t achieve the exact symmetry, and more sessions of surgery will be needed to complete the rest of the procedure.
- Risk of infection in scars and bleeding also lies after the surgery.
You can speed up your recovery process by following all the instructions given by the doctor. Take medicine on time to avoid pain, and if you feel any unusual symptoms visit your doctor instantly.
Moreover, you have to select a qualified and experienced surgeon to reduce the risks of failure and other complications. In your appointment meeting tell him your medical history and also tell him about your goals. And try to set realistic goals.